The emphasis of this course is living, traveling or working in dangerous environments. Understanding Personal Security and Risk is a course designed for public or private sector professionals, or private individuals who travel internationally. However, it is equally applicable to those who are at a conference in a picturesque European or domestic city that suddenly is transformed into a hostile environment because of shifting security threats and events. In either case, the course is designed to provide travelers the tools required to keep themselves or those for whom they are responsible alive and well. This course is a must both for travelers who are in-country for short visits, or those who are on extended stays in multiple environments overseas. For example, it provides detailed guidance for employees and managers, expatriate contractors, consultants, diplomats, NGO workers or journalists who quite frequently find themselves in one of four predicaments:
- Job assignments in high-risk locations at short notice, where one must live and work in an environment that is unfamiliar, dangerous, and unforgiving of mistakes.
- A trip with little, or no notice that is scheduled into an unknown environment, where there is no contact on the receiving end and little or no information about circumstances on the ground.
- A trip where your benign “first-world” civilized environment is turned upside down by a severe weather event, or political upheaval, terrorism and the associated public fallout, and quickly devolves into a hostile environment.
- International travel requirement where the traveler is inexperienced in foreign travel or uncomfortable with the unknowns involved with international business trips.
The objective of this course is to give travelers the principles and practices required to develop key “proactive” instincts and confidence that provide them the capability to avoid and/or manage security threats that could occur while on foreign travel. The emphasis of this training is to inculcate proactive, rather than simply reactive responses to threat events or potential threat adversaries.
- Pre-travel Game Plan
- Effective Personal Security Plan
- Insights to Avoid Travel Dangers
- Adaptation Skills when Confronted with Unforeseen Dangers
- Ability to Anticipate & Avoid Danger
- Module 1: Important Personal Security Concepts
- Module 2: Personal Security Principles
- Module 3: Travel Plans – Expecting the Unexpected
- Module 4: Kidnapping – a primer
- Module 5: Threat Patterns in the Environment
- Module 6: Hotel and Residential Security
- Module 7: Cyber Security on the Road
- Module 8: Personal Security in a Soft Target Environment – Shopping, Sports, Theatres, Cafes
- Module 9: Risk Assessment Method for Personal Security Planning
- Module 10: Personal Security and Transportation – Securing your Movement
- Module 11: Managing Your Team’s Personal Security